Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Grandpa's funeral

We spent the weekend with my family, I just wish it would have been under happier circumstances. The viewing was on Friday night and it was actually kind of fun to see so many members of my Dad's extended family. It was also nice to be able to introduce James to great aunts and uncles. I'm glad we were able to be there to support my grandma.

There was another viewing the next day, before the funeral. It was well attended. My Dad gave the family prayer before the funeral. He did a really nice job and I teared up when called my Grandpa "Dad." Ever since my Dad was a teenager he has called his parents Boyd and LaRene rather than Mom and Dad. The only times he generally called them Mom and Dad was when something was wrong or serious.

Some of the beautiful flower arrangements at the viewing

My Dad talking to his uncle Joe by the display table
 My Grandma's brother Clark dedicated the grave and after that there were the military services.  There was the gun salute, the folding of the flag and the presenting of the flag and shells.  It was really interesting.  My Grandpa was in the army for two years during the Korean conflict but he served in Puerto Rico and California, I think.  Later, he worked for Hill Air Force Base for 30 years.
My sisters watching the services


Preparing to fold the flag




In case you can't tell from the pictures, it was really windy and cold.  After the graveside services we went back to the church for a luncheon.  It was really nice to spend the time with family.  My sisters took a lot of pictures at the viewing and luncheon.  I am too much of a chicken and a bad shot to be trusted with that responsibility.

No comments: