Sunday, July 1, 2012


The past two weeks have been jam packed with costumes.
Last week I spent the whole week at the USU costume shop, subbing for Jared at the Lyric.  We got things ready for "Big River" and I worked on a whole lot of projects.  Including replacing the existing closures in the back of this dress with buttons and button holes.  I also made a bonnet.  Isn't Avery the CUTEST?
I would post a few other pictures of my other projects but one was sort of embarrassing.  It was for the Nonesuch. In a week I made: a tunic, a pair of pumpkin pants (adapted from an existing pattern,) a vest, a bonnet, two black skirts, I attached patches to the tunic and I made a tube top.  For a guy.  With a big fake breast on it.  It was sort of awkward.  Here is a rendering from another production by Tan Huaixiang, author of "Character Costume Figure Figure Drawing."  
Louella's design wasn't as low cut so you didn't see the nipple
The next week I split my time between working on "The Marvelous Wonderettes" and additonal work at the Lyric.  On Monday I bought fabric for mock ups and a pattern that I altered to fit all three girls (it seemed to work pretty well.)  
I usually don't draft patterns in pink ink for this very reason

Tuesday was a CRAZY day.  I put the mock ups together for the fittings that evening, this took from 8-3, with a few breaks.  I was sewing like a crazy person but I was able to put two dresses together as well as a pair of pants and a jacket.  I should have cut the pieces out on Monday but I got too late of a start.  On my way to Midvale I voted.  Because I didn't have enough to do that day, apparently.
I stopped at JoAnn's to buy fabric and necessary notions for the costumes.  I thought I would have enough time to stop and get a decent dinner but I didn't.  Good thing there is a Maverik gas station across the street from the theatre!  Fittings went well, I have some alterations to finish but it's nothing I can't handle.  The girls seemed impressed that I was making a few of the costumes.  It's funny because that was so commonplace while I was in school.  I guess that's community theatre for you!  After fittings I went with the producer and we finished shopping for the show.  I owe Steph a HUGE thank you for that.  She is fantastic.  As a result of the impromptu shopping trip after fittings I left Midvale at 10:30.  And I-15 was a mess.  And I got home after midnight.  And I worked at 8:30 the next morning.  Luckily, my husband is a champ so he stayed on the phone and talked to me the whole way home so I didn't fall asleep or anything.  I love him so much!

Wednesday and Thursday were spent in the costume shop working on Lyric stuff.  We've moved on to "Lend Me A Tenor" and it is going to be really beautiful.  I made a mock up of the black dress out of tricot (shudder) so we can get an idea of the drape of the silk that will actually be used.
I think the lines are so elegant in all of these pieces
I was back in the shop on Friday but on personal business.  I cut out the fashion fabric for the Wonderettes costumes and serged all the pieces.  That also took all day.  I'm really glad Louella let me come in and use their cutting tables and machines.  I have been so spoiled working in two great shops.  Maybe one day I'll have a nice sewing room with a cutting table and a serger and an ironing space and.... (I can dream, right?)

And that brings us to Saturday.  I finished the jacket and pants, a feat that also took a good chunk of the day.  I took a picture as I prepared to put the green costume together.  The gray looking fabric is actually a really pretty green, I don't know why it showed up as that nasty grey-green color.  I guess I could blame instagram.
My sometimes trusty Babylock machine.  Hey, it was free, I shouldn't complain

Our family room closet is currently jam packed with costumes.  I still need to steam the petticoats but I'll wait because then they will take up even MORE room!

And I guess that is about it.  I also had a doctor's appointment at 32 weeks.  You can read about it here if you want.  My next one is scheduled for Thursday, I'll be 34 weeks and one year closer to 30.

No comments: