Saturday, July 7, 2012

The 4th of July and Happy Birthday to me!

James and I had a classic Kaysville 4th of July.  Or at least we tried.  I went to the annual breakfast with my parents and Lauren at the DATC.  James didn't go with us because he was golfing with his Dad, uncles and cousins.  I was glad he was able to go this year, he missed out last year because I had to work.  James invited my Dad to go as well but my Dad declined, saying he doesn't cuss enough to golf.  

After the breakfast I took a nap and I woke up when James finished golfing.  We went to the parade but left before it even started because it was so hot.  I was starting to feel sick and I didn't want to sit in the sun for an hour.  We walked back to my parent's house and sat in the cold basement.  I drank lots of water and put my feet up.  

We went to his aunt and uncle's house in Clinton for a BBQ with family.  We stayed for a few hours and then went back to Kaysville for another BBQ.  My Mom's sisters all drove up from Utah county and my grandparents came too.  We celebrated the 4th and a couple of birthdays; my Grandpa's 79th and my 29th.
I should have waited a few more minutes until everything was on the counter...
Me and Grandpa...should have taken another picture, this one is not great of either of us.

Afterwards we ate dessert, lots of dessert.  My aunt Emily made two really good cakes and I made a Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova.  It turned out the best out of any of my previous pavlovas.  I know I "shouldn't" have made my own birthday cake but I had time the night before while James was at band practice and I love to cook!

We walked up and looked at the booths in the soccer field, and talked to a few people.  There was a band playing when we were there and I didn't think they were that great.  I told James that Mid 6 was better.  Soon after that comment was made my Mom told James that Mid 6 was better than the other band.  I think they are pretty good.  We went back to the house and lounged around until the fireworks started.  We watched from the backyard because we didn't want to fight the crowds and my parents had taken the parade blankets home with them.  Usually they leave them and we watch the fireworks from our parade spot.  I wonder how next year with a baby will be.  Will we even be in Utah?

The next day we went back up to Logan after eating breakfast with my Mom.  She made baked oatmeal for my birthday and it was SO GOOD.  I think I could have eaten the whole pan (not a great idea.)  After a quick stop at home I went to the costume shop and James went to the lab.  I worked on a really fun (and slightly frustrating) sequinned dress for "Lend Me A Tenor."  I had wanted to finish it (or at least get the major seams sewn) by the end of the day.  I had to leave early for a doctor's appointment so I was hoping I would have enough time to go back to the shop before the end of the day.  The appointment went really well (nothing to report) and I was back with enough time to finish the major seams.

After I got home I waited for James to finish up at the lab.  When I got to the kitchen I noticed this:
He used the S and the A from his birthday banner

My husband is too funny.  After he got home he gave me my birthday presents.  I thought it was really funny that he taped everything down in the box and decorated the edge with tissue paper.  Even more hilarious was the fact that he even taped the free samples in the box with the items.  I love him so much.
The key chain in the upper right corner is a replacement for my current one.  I lost most of the robots on my first one!

We ate dinner at Le Nonne and then bought some ice cream afterwards.  I ended up taking the rest to work to share the next day.  I figured we didn't really NEED to have another container of ice cream in our freezer.  Plus, I would have likely eaten most of it by myself and then felt sick afterwards.  Anyway!  I finished the sequinned dress the next day and finished off the jacket that goes over the dress.  It wasn't easy to put a zipper in a dress like that but I managed.  I was just glad that the designer picked fabric with soft sequins so I didn't have to remove the sequins from the seams and then reapply them by hand.

While you probably can't tell from the finished product, I used a Butterick pattern based on Pippa Middleton's dress from the Royal Wedding.
We omitted the neck drape and the train but it has the same style lines!  I kind of want to make another one, it was a pretty easy pattern to sew.

1 comment:

Brandon and Mandy said...

That dress is awesome! I'm glad you had a great birthday.
An excited cousin waiting for her cousin's baby to arrive.