Monday, October 1, 2012

Hello October!

October marks the official start of fall, for me at least. I think the actual official start of fall was a week or so in September but it doesn't matter. October is a wonderful month, it starts with General Conference and ends with Halloween. It gets the holiday ball rolling, the leaves continue to change, the weather cools down and I get to break out the cute fall clothes.

I have some big plans for October...

  • I'm going to make Mina's Halloween costume
  • We're going to have family pictures taken
  • I'm going to get my butt in gear and exercise for reals and not for fakes.
  • I want to make a coat for Mina
While James and I were shopping for fabric for Mina's blessing dress he had an idea for Mina's Halloween costume.  We decided then and there that we would decide every other year for costumes until she's old enough to choose her own.  James' choice?

 A dalek.
Yes, a dalek.
It's an alien from Doctor Who.
We brainstormed it out and I'm going to make it into a dress and a hat.  I'll use stuffing so it will be soft instead of rigid.  She's a baby, after all. I think I'll make the dress more of jumper so if she gets too hot (or annoyed) we can take it off without having to totally change her clothes.  I think she has some plain long sleeved onesies...

In honor of a new addition to our family and employment, we are having family pictures taken.  I am so excited but also a little nervous.  My body is different now and I'm still trying to come to terms with it.  I'm incredibly grateful that I was able to deliver a healthy baby but it would be nice if my old clothes fit again.  Maybe I just need someone to dress us for our pictures...Ugh.

I got my butt off the couch this morning and took Mina on an hour walk.  She slept through a good chunk of it and only cried once.  I thought it would be a lot colder so I wore my windbreaker.  I was so sweaty by the time we got home.  It was gross.  But, sweat is a good thing.  I should do it more often.  I figure if I document my progress I'll be more likely to stick with it. I figure I'm already off to a good start because I remembered to wear my track pants and not my scary stretchy pants.

Last up, Mina's coat.
I realize she will grow fast and won't get much use out of it but I still want to make a cute coat.  Here are some of my inspirational images:
Baby Gap

J. Crew


J. Crew
baby Dior
baby Dior
My plan is to combine all the coats into one cute, classy coat.  I'm going to follow lead of my friend Delia and use an old sweater for the coat.  She is amazing...Maybe I can finish it for our family pictures...

FYI, these coats retail for  $49.99, $188 and $845!

The lining of the baby Dior coat, I love the fabric and pleats:






1 comment:

Christina said...

I LOVE the Dalek idea. Very cool. Please post pictures if you can. Also, it takes a great deal of time to get your body back, be patient. I'm still working on that from Anika too.